Russ, Mike and Julian chat through issues and highlights from the week's news as well as the usual Pro Tools tips, tricks and community questions answered.
Podcast Sponsor - Synchro Arts
This month’s sponsor is Synchro Arts and Mike shares some of the things you can do with Revoice Pro in audio post-production.
- Chromaphone 2 + 8 Sound Bank Bundle - Get over 40% Off - Buy For £221 Chromaphone is a software instrument based on the modelling of acoustic resonators to create drums, percussion, string and hybrid synth-like instruments. Eli, from our sister site Logic Pro Expert, has been using Chromaphone for over a year now and he loves it. Firstly, it’s really intuitive to edit the presets and come up with really interesting creative variations. Secondly and more importantly for him, it stretches his imagination by making it so easy to come up with unusual combinations of resonators and impact generators. This month we are offering a unique bundle adding 8 sound banks and offering 40% off the combined price.
- Get 25% Off The DiGiGrid D Desktop Audio Interface - Limited Stock We don’t often offer hardware deals but DiGiGrid has got some stock of their Desktop SoundGrid Network interface at 25% off for the Pro Tools Expert community. In his review, Julian said, “It is the first part of an expandable system which will grow with your needs and it is of high enough quality to remain useful irrespective of how your system and your expectations grow". So if you are looking to get into the SoundGrid platform check this deal out as Julian recommends the D as a great entry point.
- Also don’t forget to check out the deals from our Partners, in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
This month our friends at Universal Audio are offering at least 30% off their range of Unison Enabled plug-ins that capture the essential “sweet spots,” and circuit behaviours of iconic hardware from the likes of Ampeg, API, Fender, Manley, Marshall, Neve and SSL.
- Are TV Mixes Getting Too Big For The Domestic Living Room?
- You May Be The Biggest Problem In Your Recording Process
- Win Exponential Audio's Industry Standard Surround Reverbs - PhoenixVerb and R2 Surround. Here is a great set of prizes for those working in surround - the industry standard PhoenixVerb Surround and R2 Surround reverbs from Exponential Audio. Exponential Audio punch above their weight, with their reverbs featured on some of the biggest movies from Star Wars to The Hobbit and on countless TV shows, all from a company that has one employee, Michael Carnes. The winner will get the surround versions of both of Michael’s reverb plug-ins the Phoenixverb and R4, and two runners-up will each get a choice of one of these reverb plug-ins.
- Don’t forget to check out our win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions. If you are looking to give your studio the power to Create, Edit, Mix, Master and Deliver Dolby Atmos content, then check out our friends at RSPE, as for over 15 years, they have been a proud Dolby Professional dealer and installer, and they are one of a handful of dealers who can supply the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite.
- Jacob Harley has been in touch He says “I have been following several Production Expert sites for a while now. I have moved from Pro Tools, as my main DAW, to Reaper. I was wondering, is there a Reaper Expert site out there somewhere? Or is it perhaps in the works? If there is no such thing yet, I'd love to be a part of making that happen. I am by no means a Reaper expert, but I know a fair few who use it quite a lot and as I'm continuing to gain more experience with a new DAW I think something like this would be of tremendous value. Cubase/Nuendo expert would also be awesome… Anyway, just some thoughts I had!”
- There is a great Reaper Blog run by Jon Tidy.
- Armando Diaz asks “I think you guys should make a demonstration video showing how to route Superior Drummer 3 running in Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 Server into Pro Tools. Thanks!!
- There are a number of articles and videos on how to use Vienna Ensemble Pro with Pro Tools...
Questions From The Community
- Sylvain Hazera works in a sound school in France and they have several surface control surfaces including a C24. He has found that the monitor control section is regularly failing and so would our recommendations for a monitor control station that can control the 5.1 output and easily change between 5.1 and 2.0 alt monitor, with talkback.
- Tim Radage has recently bought the Behringer DeepMind 12 synth. With its complex modulation possibilities and multiple effects, it can create some very weird and wonderful soundscapes. It got him thinking that ambience, drones, pads etc would sound incredible if you could hear them in surround sound with different parts of the patch coming out of different speakers around you. He wants to know if there's any way of converting in real time the output from say the DM12 or any software synth (DIVA) into surround sound 5.1 or 7.1 and would it work well? For example, if an artist played a gig at a surround sound venue, could they use their stereo instruments and convert them into surround sound experience for the audience?
- David Moreau is a Pro Tools and RX user. He is wondering if we know a way to have a loudness view of your tracks in Pro Tools like you have in iZotope RX. A colour based waveform like in RX would help to get a really quick overview of what is really loud. He is thinking in a post-production context where you have a lot of sound effects with levels all over the place.
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet-based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week
- Russ - New Seat Cushion
- Mike - Firmware Update: Zoom F8 Firmware 4.0 to support recording the output of the Sennheiser Ambeo mic in a wide range of Ambisonics formats int the Zoom F8
- Julian - Kush Novatron