In this exclusive extract from PureMix, Fab Dupont shares his thoughts on the best position for an equaliser relative to a compressor in a signal chain, this extract is from Equaliser Strategy and Philosophy - an in depth tutorial from Fab in which Fab takes a tour of EQ from first principles, through different types of hardware EQ and their relative merits, to specific use cases.
Over the course of this hour-long tutorial, Fab Dupont explains:
- The history of EQ choices and how they've evolved over the decades
- How to recognize the sonic differences between analog and digital EQs
- Learn to master the subtle differences between types of EQ and know when to best apply
- Compare several common EQ topologies including Pultec, Neve, SSL
- The classic boost + cut trick on the Pultec
- Strategies for using fully parametric EQs without getting lost in endless parameters
- Using multiple EQs to achieve a clear and focused mix that doesn't sound like mud
- How to compensate for the tone of pieces of gear with transformers, tubes, etc
- Find and eliminate frequencies, remove masks from your tracks for clearer and more powerful sounding mixes
- Should EQ come before or after compression? Learn to recognize which way is best suited for a mix
- How to hear subtle changes in tone to be sure the settings and techniques you're using are helping and not harming your mixes
How To Watch The Full Video
This video tutorial is only available to Pro members and can be accessed by signing up to a pureMix subscription. We are currently running a giveaway of a year's PureMix Pro Membership here on Pro Tools Expert..
Sign up to get advanced audio tutorials where Grammy winning engineers teach you mixing concepts by showing you their techniques and tricks while mixing song by Pharrell, Imagine Dragons, Ziggy Marley and more.
If you would like to watch more free tutorials you can sign up for free at pureMix or browse the entire pureMix tutorial video library and choose the individual videos that appeal to you.