Mike, Julian and Alan chat through issues from the week's news as well as the usual tips, tricks and questions answered.
Groove 3 Videos That Grabbed Our Attention This Week
Songwriting & Producing with Toontrack: Dream Pop - In this video tutorial series, Luke Oswald and Spencer Hansen return, and this time create a dream pop song from scratch, using only Toontrack products and a DAW. See it built from nothing, all the way to mix and master!
- Save 74% On AIR Music Producer Pack - £68 (regular £260)
- New Deals from our Partners section on this page
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview is Russ’ interview with Simon Hayes On The Sound Production Of Les Misérables. This extended interview talks about his journey into the industry and then focuses in on the groundbreaking audio work on the acclaimed Les Misérables.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
If you are a UAD-2 plug-in user then you need to know that Universal Audio will very soon be ending their long-standing legacy plug-in upgrade offer. Till the end of January 2017, you can still upgrade from the original 1176, LA-2A, Pultec and Fairchild Legacy plug-ins to the Collections for just £75 each when you use your £40 January coupon. Available for registered UAD-2 users only.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
Looking for a new set of studio monitors? If you are based on the West Coast of the US, then take a look at RSPE Audio Solutions. RSPE carries a wide range of brands that you can demo in their Los Angeles demo facility.
- Georges Majerus wanted to share his experiences of shipping valuable hardware via couriers to get them repaired and also ask for our advice on what to do.
- Stephen Burton would like to suggest articles on basic music theory and using virtual instruments in live settings.
- Craig Williams responded to our conversation on TV audio in podcast 251, and wondered if someone the crunchy sounds we mentioned was due to pitch correction because of frame rate changes.
Questions From The Community Sponsored By Create Pro
There is nothing like a good end of the year (or start of the next) round up story. Check out the Create Pros round up or the best and not so best tech from 2016.
- Glen Morrow asked for our advice for a metering plugin for someone with a visual impairment and also what voiceover channel strip suggestions.
- Jason Orrick would like to know if the Apollo 16 firewire with the silver front would work on a Windows 7 machine with Pro Tool 10 and a Control 24.
Find Of The Week
- Mike - The Great Suspender This is a Chrome browser extension which disables tabs in your browser so that they don’t consume resources whilst not being used.
- Julian - Google Keep - Evernote type note taking app. Has changed my life! A note keeping app which has been around for ages but is simple enough to be useable on the move and doesn’t have the silly restrictions Evernote introduced to the number of devices you can sync between. I write a checklist every morning and don’t have to remember anything for the rest of the day (almost).
- Alan - Howard Massey’s fantastic (and weighty) book - “The Great British Recording Studios”. It’s a fantastic history of recording in the UK and how it evolved. When reading about places like Chipping Norton Studios I can hear Gerry Rafferty and the glorious sound that studio produced. It’s also a great technical history of recording methodology.