Back in June 2014 we covered two Pro Tools related iPad apps. One of which was a free touchOSC template for Pro Tools from Calmaestudiis in Spain. They have just been in touch to let us know that they have released a Pro Tools 12 version of their template.
Back in 2014 we saw that some people were struggling to get the Calmaestudiis, TouchOSC, Osculator combination to work. There are instructions that come with the template files but they are a little basic, but hey its free so doing a bit of work is not unreasonable. So we went through the install process and wrote up a more comprehensive set of instructions, which we have tweaked for the PT 12 release....
Installing the free Calmaestudiis iPad template using TouchOSC and Osculator software.
- Purchase, download and install the TouchOSC app onto your iPad. TouchOSC will cost $4.99.
- Download the Osculator software and install it.
- Download the free template from Calmaestudiis.
- Unzip the CalmaPT.zip file. In the CalmaPT folder you will find 4 folders - Osculator PT10, TouchOSC PT10, Osculator PT12 and TouchOSC PT12.
- The PT10 folders are there for legacy support but for PT12 support you must choose the PT12 folders
- Run Osculator, it needs to be running all the time Pro Tools is running.
- It will work in ‘demo’ mode until you select to purchase it. It will cost between 14 and 29 Euros plus vat for European users. Whilst in Demo mode when you get the ‘nag’ screen it stops working until you dismiss it.
- Open the file calmaestudis PT12.oscd with Osculator and leave it running, you might want to consider arranging for your computer to run it at start up.
- Go to the Download page of TouchOSC web site
- Scroll down the page to find the Editor software and download appropriate TouchOsc editor for your computer.
- Install the software and open the file calmaestudisPT12.touchosc in the TouchOSC Editor
- Press the Sync button in the TouchOSC Editor.
- On your iPad run TouchOSC and in the settings page, set the Host IP address to the IP address of the computer that is running Pro Tools.
- Go to the Layout option in TouchOSC on your iPad and select Add.
- In the Add Layout window press the Edit button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Press the + button in the top left hand corner and then type in the IP address of the computer with Pro Tools and The TouchOSC editor on it. Press Done.
- Press on the IP Address in the list of Editor Hosts in TouchOSC on your iPad, and that will download the profile as long as you have already pressed the Sync button on the TouchOSC Editor software.
- If your iPad gives an error message that it is unable to connect to the server, check you have entered your IP addresses correctly and that you have started the Sync process in the TouchOSC Editor on your Pro Tools computer.
- Once you have the template on your iPad press the Stop Sync button on the software and close the TouchOSC Editor.
- You should now be able to use the Calmaestudiis iPad template to control Pro Tools from your iPad.
If you want to use all the buttons on the 13 tabs on the TouchOSC app on your iPad, you will need to add shortcuts into your Keyboard Preferences, and this is covered in the original instructions. There also some changes to shortcut list for Pro Tools 12 which are listed in the Addendum Instructions for Pro Tools 12.