Blue Cat Audio have just announced a new distortion and amp sim modeling plug-in called Blue Cat Destructor that claims to be capable of simulating any kind of distortion. We have had a pre-release of the Destructor plug-in for a couple of weeks and I can report that it is a very impressive distortion plug-in - lots of sounds can easily be achieved with it.
The Blue Cat Destructor provides an unlimited number of non-linear processing models that range from harsh digital destruction tones to smooth analog compression or guitar amp simulation. Watch the Blue Cat Audio video demonstration to hear how the Destructor plug-in sounds.
Hundreds of presets and models have been included - many of which are inspired by real gear. It has the ability to create completely custom distortion simulations beyond the included models as the signal processing chain is very easy and flexible to use. Blue Cat Audio say there is no need to purchase any extra presets or amp models for building your own custom tones - it has everything you need to be able to get great sounding distortion.
The Destructor is based on a perceptual model rather than on electronic designs or impulse responses. Blue Cat have also included an adaptive shaper feature, meaning the Destructor plug-in is reactive to the way instrumentalists play, giving a very natural feel, similar to analog gear. I tested the AC30(ish) model and was very impressed with the feel. The plug-in is bundled with more than 1400 visual styles that can be selected separately for each module.
2016 AES Convention
The Blue Cat Destructor plug-in is currently being demonstrated at the 141st AES Convention in Los Angeles on booth #410. If you are at AES do go and pay Blue Cat Audio a visit.
The Blue Cat Destructor will be available for purchase and download on 11th October 2016 delivered as a plug-in in multiple formats for Windows and Mac.
A demo will also be available. For more information please visit the Blue Cat Audio website.
- Powerful distortion and amp modeling tool.
- Simulate any kind of distortion: analog or digital, guitar and bass amps, saturation, clipping, compression, bit crushing.
- Works for clean sounds too.
- Get started with several hundreds of fully editable presets, inspired by real gear.
- More than 1400 visual styles to customize the user experience.
- Control the dynamics with the input gate and compressor.
- Control the tone with the pre and post filters.
- Exclusive shape dynamics control: adapt the tone to the dynamics of the signal.
- Use the internal or external side chain to trigger the distortion.
- Protect your ears with the output brickwall limiter.
- Comprehensive visual feedback: real time spectrum analysis, dynamic distortion curve display with embedded signal histograms.
- Load reference curves for tone matching.
- No latency.
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.5 or newer.
- PC running Windows XP or newer.
Blue Cat's Destructor: 79 EUR / $99