Mike, James, Julian and Dan chat through issues from the week's news as well as the usual tips, tricks and questions answered.
Groove 3 Videos That Grabbed Our Attention This Week
- SUBSTANCE Explained - Output has created a bass synth machine for your DAW, and Eli Krantzberg Eli covers it all from in-depth overviews, to comprehensive explanations of loading and saving presets, using the Edit Page, EQ Page, Filter Page, and FX pages for total sonic control of your low end.
- Exponential Audio NIMBUS Explained - Follow along with Marcus Huyskens and learn all of its features as well as how to use it on your tracks! Marcus covers it all, including the new GUI, Search Option & Keyboard Shortcuts, using the Filters, Tail Suppression, Warp functions and much more. Even better this series is available free. All you need to do if you are not a Groove3 subscriber is to register and that is free too.
- Win 1 of 5 Copies Of e2 Desser By Eiosis
- Win One Of Three Copies Of Falcon By UVI
- Check out our Partner section of the Win Page
- Tovusound Edward Ultimate Foley Instruments - Save Up To 25%
- Offer 1 - Edward Ultimate Bundle - £225 - 25% Discount
- Offer 2 - Edward Ultimate Clothes+Props - £89 - 20% Discount
- Offer 3 - Edward Ultimate Clothes+Props Upgrade - £59 - 20% Discount
- Save 74% On AIR Music Producer Pack - £68 in association with Plugin Boutique.
- Dehumaniser II By Krotos Audio - Get a 20% Discount on the Modular Node Based Creature Sound Design System, as used on “The Jungle Book” and “Avengers - Age of Ultron”, making it £360 +vat.
- Check out our Partner section on the Deals page
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
We have spent some time curating all the excellent interviews we have undertaken over the years into an Interviews page. This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview is James’ interview with friend of the blog Steve Genewick On Music Production.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Until September 30th, UAD are offering 20% off their 20 best selling plugins, from vintage channel strips and tube compressors, to iconic reverbs and guitar amps, like the Manley Massive Passive EQ, the Neve 1073 Collection and the Lexicon 224 reverb. Check out the full list on the UAD web site.
- Are Avid Leaving The Interface Market?
- 3 Free Ways To Vastly Improve Your Mix Before You Even Press Record
- Pro Tools 12.6 - Testing Automatic Playlists & Real-Time Fades
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
Our friends at RSPE Audio have released this short Avid Pro Tools | S6 control surface tutorial with Gary Lux demonstrating how to use the Users Switches 1 & 2.
- No user feedback this week.
Questions From The Community Sponsored By Create Pro
So an SSD drive is an SSD drive is an SSD drive right? WRONG. There are SSDs and there are AngelBird Solid State Drives. These are the business. FInd out more about how you can spec you next or current machine with Angelbird SSDs at the link: http://create.pro/angelbird
- Scott Redfield would like help to find out what is the latest version of Pro Tools on his iMac running 10.6.8.
- Avid do provide the compatibility charts going back a long way and since the new site they are a lot easier to find
- Avid Compatibilty Chart going back to v6.1.2 http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart
- Avid End Of Life Chart http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/End-of-support-dates
- Avid Mbox 2 Drivers http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/Mbox-2-Drivers
- Barry Edmonds would like help to understand which of the many plugin formats work with Pro Tools 10.3.2.
- Pro Tools does not natively support VST or Audio Units (AU) plugin formats but can use Patchworks to use VST and AU plugins in Pro Tools. But normally these are the different plugin formats supported by the different versions of Pro Tools…
- Pro Tools uses RTAS plugins formats for Pro Tools 9 and earlier.
- Pro Tools 9HD supported RTAS and TDM formats.
- Pro Tools 10 supported AAX Native and RTAS formats,
- Pro Tools 10HD supported RTAS, TDM, AAX Native and AAX DSP formats
- Pro Tools 11 and above supports AAX Native
- Pro Tools 11HD and above supports AAX Native and AAX DSP formats.
Get To Know The Team
In this feature, each week each of us will share something about us that you are unlikely to know about so you can get to know as as people.
Team Find Of The Week Sponsored by Output
Now we not ones for substance abuse but the new virtual instrument from Output is called Substance and it is just screaming out to be misused in a phat sub bass kind of way. You can find out more about Substance the powerful new bass engine from Output.
- Mike - Clear out your Downloads folder. I have a 512G Angelbird SSD drive as my boot drive and it was getting full so I checked my Downloads folder and there was around 100G of stuff in there. So I spent some time filing and deleting stuff and now all is good.
- James - The amazing De-reverb module in iZotope RX ….. Stunning… saved me on a VO job this week. Check out Mike’s free tutorial on iZotope Dereverb
- Julian - Exponential Audio Nimbus
- Dan - Dream Pop by Toontrack. I’ve had it for a week and it has already inspired the start of a production.