Russ, Mike, James and Julian chat through issues from the week's news as well as the usual tips, tricks and questions answered.
Groove 3 Videos That Grabbed Our Attention This Week
Groove3 are offering the opportunity on their tutorial downloads to buy one and get one of equal or lesser value free for a limited period. So choose two tutorials series from Groove3 and you will get the cheaper one free.
- Win One Of Five Copies Of MixChecker From Audified
- Win One Of Five Virtual Guitarist Bundles From UJAM
- Check out the Partner section of the Win page
- Boz Digital Labs - Save 40% On Three Separate Plug-ins - Manic Compressor £67, Imperial Delay £67 & T-Bone £21
- AIR Music Synth Bundle £60 - 60% off
- Check out the Partner section on the Deals page
New Interviews Page
We have spent some time curating all the excellent interviews we have undertaken over the years into a brand new Interviews page.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
On our interview page we will be featuring one of our interviews each week. This week our featured interview is with Augusta Quiney & Chris Smith From PCAM On Songwriting & Composing.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Universal Audio are offering up to 50% discount on Tape emulation plugins in their Magnetic Tape Month until August 31st 2016.
James Ivey with the support of Universal Audio and Shure microphones will be presenting a Drum Mic & Recording Workshop at UK drum store SOUND ATTAK, Colchester, Essex on Tuesday the 30th of August from 7pm. If you are in that part of the world and want to learn more about drums and drum recording check out the link.
Ask Grammy Winning Producer Al Schmitt A Question
James will be asking Al about his recent film 'The Art Of Recording A Big Band' but we also want to hear your questions for this 23 time Grammy award winning producer and engineer. Is there a particular mic technique you would like Al to explain or a particular album project you would like to hear more about? To pose your question please contact us and add the subject line 'Al Q&A' James Al Schmitt and Steve Genewick Interview.
- Option Paralysis? - Maybe Pro Tools Portastudio Edition Would Help?
- Music Production - Perfection Is Overrated
- How To Prepare Tracks For Music Streaming Services
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
If you are confused about what Pro Tools Upgrade you should go for, then be one of the first to use RSPE Audio's Pro Tools Upgrade Configurator. All you need to do is answer a couple of easy questions and Configurator will help find the right upgrade plan for you!
Vivian Thompson wanted to share in the context of higher sample rates muses how chromesthesia. (sound-to-colour synesthesia) and came across some research from the University of California, Berkeley and wondered if higher same rates might have an impact here.
Questions From The Community Sponsored By Create Pro
Do you remember back in the day when my poor underpowered Mac Pro had but 6 cores? If you too are suffering a power shortage get you Mac pro 4.1 or 5.1 pimped by these crazy folks at Create Pro. Spec up your CPU upgrade page at Create Pro.
- Matthew Lewis would like our view on the height of studio monitors especially the rear surround speakers in a small control room for TV/home theatre mixing.
- Maxim Savosvat would like to know more about the capsules in both the Slate and Townsend mic modelling systems as he finds the ‘zings’ in the 2k to 4k range.
Get To Know The Team
In this feature, each week each of us will share something about us that you are unlikely to know about so you can get to know as as people. Here is a picture of the booklet Mike refers to.
Here is the picture Russ referred to from Palm Audio Systems where his first intro to Digidesign was selling Sound Designer on a Mac IICX for £20K in around 1985
Team Find Of The Week Sponsored by Output
We all love free stuff right? With that in mind check out the Movement pages of the Output web site. Following the links below and you can download some amazing free samples made with REV. There are samples in Apple Loops, Wav, REX2 and Kontakt formats.
- Russ - UAD Manley Voxbox
- James - On my recent trip to Barcelona my wife and I visited La Sagrada Familia which was truly stunning now is it nearly only 10 years from completion. The sound system was amazing…. The attention to detail was spectacular. The Bose tower speakers that are mounted to the massive stone pillars have been coloured the same as the stone. Now many of the pillars are a different type of stone and hence a different colour. All the speakers match the pillars. #Techie Stunning. Check out my story here.
- Julian - Ravenna Virtual Soundcard from Merging Audio - Been loving that recently.
- Mike - Continuing the tidying theme, my find of the week was something I found buried in the back of one of my cupboards which is a solution to a problem that no longer exists, tape box labels. The APRS developed a colour coded system so you could see at a glance at the tape boxes on the shelve whether it was an original master, production master, not for production, media version and so on. See below....