Our friends at FabFilter have launched a brand new algorithmic reverb plug-in called the FabFilter Pro-R. Pro-R continues the visual GUI theme and control aspects found in other FabFilter plugins, which is a good as FabFilter products are second to none in GUI design.
What Makes FabFilter Pro-R Different To Other Reverb Plugins?
FabFilter Pro-R features a stripped back set of controls. All the controls appear to be intuitive and easy to incorporate as descriptions for each of the dials are labeled using terms such as Brightness, Character and Space. Generally, reverb plugins feature countless controls. Users of such reverbs don't usually get around to learning a reverb plug-in in its entirety, so it is great to see that FabFilter Pro-R features a set of controls we will use suppose to having pages of infinite settings that most users never get around to using. The stripped back controls in FabFilter Pro-R should mean that we get to use more of the controls we need more of the time.
Watch this space for a Pro Tools Expert video review to follow in the coming days.
FabFilter Pro-R Controls
- Brightness: Dial in a reverb tone.
- Character: Sweep between a clean sounding reverb tail through to subtle modulation effects and chorus.
- Distance: Bring the source forward or push it back into the "space."
- Space: Sweep between 6 reverbs ranging from small rooms, halls and cathedrals.
- Decay Rate: Reverb time
- Stereo Width: Sweep between mono (0%), stereo (100%) and super wide reverbs (120%).
- Mix: 0% Dry - 100% Wet. Includes lock control meaning users can switch between presets without the output level changing.
FabFilter Pro-R features a Pro-Q2 style EQ graphic display that enables users to take control of the reverb EQ (post reverb) and the decay rate time of the reverb within the frequency spectrum. This means users can shape the reverb tail to different frequencies. A stereo drum mix application would be shortening the decay rate between 50Hz - 100Hz making the kick drum less splashy while lengthening decay rate between 1Khz - 2Khz allowing the upper tone of the snare drum to ring out more.
FabFilter Pro-R includes a cool pre delay feature that's not found in many reverb plugins called Tempo Sync. This will enable users to set the pre delay time to beat divisions within tempo mapped sessions - great for snare drum reverb mixing as often users have to guess the value in milliseconds.
Price & Availability
FabFilter Pro-R is available to purchase for £149. We strongly recommend current FabFilter users login to their FabFilter accounts as FabFilter have Perosnal Upgrade Offers. FabFilter also offer a free trial of Pro-R - download from the FabFilter website.
All FabFilter plug-ins are available in VST, VST3, Audio Units, AAX Native and AudioSuite formats (all both 64-bit and 32-bit), as well as RTAS (32-bit only).
- 64-bit: Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista
- 32-bit: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP
- VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
Mac OS X
- OS X 10.6 or higher
- AU or VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- Intel processor