PACE Anti-Piracy Inc, the makers of iLok, are announcing the new 3rd generation iLok. Its half the size of an iLok2, its twice as fast as the iLok2 and can hold 3 times as many licenses as the second generation iLok.
Apparently recent advances in chip design and manufacturing processes have enabled the evolution of the new 3rd generation iLok, which is much smaller and designed to be more robust than its predecessors.
The new iLok3 is fully backward compatible with previous versions – so all software developed for use with a 2nd generation iLok will continue to work with a 3rd generation iLok. This means that there should be no need to have to buy an iLok3 for software compatibility, as there are no relevant design changes with the iLok3, unlike the changes from the original iLoks to the iLok2, where a number of brands licenses were no longer compatible with the original iLoks, because of license format changes requiring some users to have to buy an iLok2 to use the latest versions of some software and plugins.
Despite reports to the contrary PACE, the makers of iLok, state that since its release 16 years ago, the iLok hardware device has never been compromised.
They also tell us that the design of the 3rd generation iLok is a huge step up from previous versions.
The internal components are ingeniously small, packed into their metal case using methods that make duplication virtually impossible. And fewer components means fewer points of failure once the device is being used in the field.
- Full Metal Jacket - One piece extruded aluminum frame. This iLok will not split or crack under normal circumstances. There is still a blue LED indicator light.
- Embossed Logo - Security with style, an embossed logo makes counterfeiting extremely difficult. End users can purchase with confidence that the device is legit.
- Actual Size - The 3rd Generation iLok measures 1.5 inches x 0.5 inches. It fits into any standard USB port.
- Etched Serial Number - The etched serial number is clearly visible, large and is designed to not easily rub off.
- ￼Security Loop - It is a little wider and stronger, and most desktop security cables should fit through this loop.
- Price & Availability - The MSRP will be $49.95 and we understand that it will be available immediately from iLok.com, although it may take a few days before dealers have stock.
iLok3 Frequently Asked Questions
|iLok3 FAQs||iLok3 FAQ - Answers|
|How many licenses can the new version of the iLok hold?||The 3rd Generation iLok can hold up to 1500 depending on the license type. By comparison, the 2nd Generation iLok can hold around 500 licenses.|
|Can I have original iLoks and new iLoks in my account at the same time?||Yes, you can have any combination of older iLoks and new iLoks in your account at the same time.|
|Does the new version of the iLok work just like the original iLok?||The Third Generation iLok works the same as the Second Generation iLok. It is also fully backward compatible.|
|Can I get Zero Downtime protection on a new iLok?||Zero Downtime is immediately available for Third Generation iLoks. On a Third Generation iLok, the optional Theft and Loss Coverage (TLC) may be enabled within the iLok License Manager (App).|
|Do I have to buy the new version of the iLok?||You do not need to purchase a new iLok to continue working. Note that some software requires second generation or better iLoks.|
|Will you still be selling the 2nd Generation iLok?||PACE Anti Piracy will no longer sell retail Second Generation iLoks when this version is released.|
|Why should I buy the new version of the iLok?||It’s stronger, more durable, and it holds over 3 times the licenses.|
|Can I move licenses from an old iLok to a new iLok?||Yes, both the new and original iLoks function the same.|
|Can iLok2 owners with ZDT change over to an iLok3?||Not at this time. You can only do this at the point you renew your Zero Downtime.|