Last week, we were invited by Universal Audio to meet with them and see the new Apollo 16 audio interface and talk about it with UA’s Jed Allen. Of course we jumped at the chance.
We’ve been very excited since seeing this - an Apollo 16 and Pro Tools 11 may well be a killer system.
Apollo 16 is targeted at professional studio installations and pro-sumer home recordists looking for a no-compromise recording interface. It will also appeal to adjacent audio markets like Post-production, Broadcast, and Live Sound.
- UA’s flagship audio interface with 16 x 16 analog I/O and best-in-class conversion
- Onboard UAD-2 QUAD DSP Processing runs the full library of 60+ UAD Powered plug-ins — both in real time, for sub-2ms tracking/monitoring, and during DAW mixing
- Twice the analog connectivity of the original Apollo — ideal for professional facilities with mixing console, outboard analog hardware, cue/headphone systems, etc.
- Connects to compatible Mac or Win 7 machines via FireWire 800* or Thunderbolt Option card (Mac only - sold separately)
- Plug-Ins from the biggest names in the business
- Additional UAD DSP Accelerator horsepower available during mixing
- UA’s flagship FireWire/Thunderbolt-ready audio interface for Mac and Windows 7*
- 16 x 16 analog I/O via DB-25 connectors — ideal for professional mixing consoles, outboard preamps, etc
- Realtime UAD-2 QUAD processing for low-latency (sub-2ms) tracking and mixing w/ UAD Powered Plug-Ins
- Thunderbolt Option Card for next-generation connectivity to compatible Macs
- Multi-unit cascading merges two Apollo 16 units for 32 x 32 analog I/O
- Four stereo Cue mixes with fully assignable outputs
- PT Mode allows easy insertion of outboard analog hardware in Pro Tools**
- New Virtual I/O feature for Realtime UAD Processing of virtual instruments and DAW tracks
- Includes “Analog Classics” plug-ins: LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, and Pultec EQP-1A EQ
- Full recall of interface and plug-in settings in DAW sessions via Console Recall plug-in (VST/RTAS/AU)
- Includes dedicated XLR monitor outs; 2 x 2 channels of AES-EBU digital I/O
- Basic stand-alone mode for persistent mixing without a computer
- Full compatibility with UAD-2 DSP Accelerator systems
- VST, AU, RTAS, and 64-bit plug-in support