Plugin maker Sound Radix have just released their latest offering, a Phase Interaction Mixer to minimize frequency cancellations in the DAW summing process.
Here’s what they say about it:
Pi is an innovative, multi-channel phase interactions mixer plug-in engine for Mac and PC.
Pi works to improve the summing of a DAW or a mixer. Pi dynamically minimizes frequency cancellations between instruments within the mix, improves mono compatibility and brings back the lost depth and focus lost when overlapping frequencies collide.
Good phase relationships between mixer tracks, are a key to great sounding mix. Normally, where mixer channels are summed into a single stereo mix bus, instruments overlap and interact with each-other across the frequency range and phase position. Often, a bass track could be temporarily out-of-phase with the kick or rhythm guitar tracks, and when summed into a mix, end up cancelling each-other over the overlapping frequency range, causing a temporary “hole” in the low end. Similarly, a snare track could end up sounding thin in a mix when the toms resonance are out of phase with the snare.
Designed to enhance any mix, Pi dynamically rotates the phase of the individual mixer channels to achieve maximum phase correlation within the mix. Pi minimizes negative interaction and significantly improves the overall sound of the mix. Just drop Pi into the last insert slot of your DAW mixer channels and listen. Use any of the 64 groups to bind related instrument channels to enhance your mix even further.
- Groundbreaking, true multi-channel engine, dynamically optimizes phase relationships between mix channels for optimal sounding mix
- Three-mode track grouping for enhanced related instruments and multi-mic setup phase correlation optimization
- Full Range and Low Frequency global optimization modes
- Four mode multi-channel phase correlation display, enables a unique view of the phase relationships within the mix
- Internal, inter-channel sample accurate routing, no complicated side-chaining required
Pi is available for Mac & PC in VST, RTAS and AU formats, in 32 and 64 bits where applicable.
Full details, Downloadable demos and sound examples on the Sound Radix Website