This month we are offering a saving of 30% on an exclusive bundle of 3 Sknote plug-ins that are available in the AAX DSP plug-in format.
- Disto-S - An emulation of the infamous Distressor from Empirical Labs.
- DolA - A plug-in version of the old tracking brightening trick using the encoder side of a Dolby A noise reduction system.
- EchoTaps which covers the history of delay units in one plug-in.
We are selling this exclusive bundle of 3 AAX DSP plug-ins for £68.00 plus taxes which is a saving of 30% over the current pricing of the 3 plug-ins, but that includes the AES launch price of $49 for the Disto-S, but the normal price will be $299.
Ever since I changed to HDX right at the beginning of AAX plug-ins, I bemoaned the lack of AAX DSP plug-ins and set about a one-man crusade to find every AAX DSP plug-in available. This was the initial driver for our AAX plug-in database.
More recently a new developer Sknote came on the scene and started developing AAX DSP plug-ins and I interviewed Quinto Sardo back in 2015 about the process of plug-in development and why he wanted to produce AAX DSP plug-ins too.
So let's take a look at each of the 3 plug-ins in turn.
Sknote Disto-S AAX DSP Plug-in
This is a plug-in designed as an emulation of a Distressor by Empirical Labs with a few twists along the way, including being able to control the saturation and headroom separately from the dynamics, sample aligned dry/wet mix and an auto-gain option as well as all the normal Distressor features. This is a new version with a simpler interface and has been optimised for Avid HDX systems and Venue consoles. The key features are...
- Emulation of a hardware Distressor unit.
- Several compression modes.
- UK mode (British mode).
- Knee compression.
- Hottitude control. Set headroom and saturation independently of dynamic control.
- Sample aligned Dry-Mix control.
- New Auto-Gain option! Engage it to make output gain controls match the original audio level.
- Preset sharing feature: copy settings from the plugin to the clipboard and back.
- Available as AAX/Native/DSP 32/64 bit for Avid Pro Tools, VST for Windows 32/64 bit and VST/AU for Mac 32/64 bit.
- The DSP version will run 7 instances on a single DSP chip.
Sknote DolA AAX DSP Plug-in
Back in the day, to help tracks like backing vocals cut through a mix without having them too loud there was a trick to use the encoder side of a Dolby A noise reduction system to record a brighter version. Of course, its not just EQ, the Dolby A system also compresses the high frequencies in its unique way as part of the system to help reduce tape hiss. Sknote have taken this trick and turned it into a plug-in, hacked and abused to get a beautiful high-frequency enhancement.
DolA has 2 knobs and 3 buttons to select 3 different modes.
- Mix - sets how much of the processed version will be used.
- Gain - Determined how much signal is sent to the processing, like a Drive control.
- Mode - The 3 modes are...
- Two high bands
- Two high bands with extended dynamic range
- Just the highest band
- Available as AAX/Native/DSP 32/64 bit for Avid Pro Tools and Venue Consoles, VST for Windows 32/64 bit and VST/AU for Mac 32/64 bit.
- The DSP version will run 18 instances on a single DSP chip.
Sknote EchoTaps AAX DSP Plug-in
EchoTaps comes across as the history of delay effects in one plug-in.
- Oil Can (the weirdest) - which apparently used electrostatic charge on a metal disk spinning in a special oil,
- Tape - my favourite - it reminds me when I had 2 processor units a Lexicon PCM60 and a Studer tape machine which I used for tape echo.
- Bucket Brigade (analog delay).
- Vintage Digital (raw and warm).
- Modern Digital (clean).
Then there is modulation and pitch shifting, rhythms and swing, diffusion, early reflections, delay routing, multi-mode ducking.
This plug-in has way more features than I was able to fit into the short review, so here are two tutorials from Sknote...
This tutorial showcases all the features on the AAX-DSP version.
This video shows the new Pitch shifting options:
- Discrete (semitones).
- FeedBack Pitch Shifting.
- Available as AAX/Native/DSP 32/64 bit for Avid Pro Tools and Venue Consoles, with VST and AU versions coming soon.